Welcome to Data Center Map v2By Sune Christesen, May 12 2009
I’m pleased to welcome you to version 2 of Data Center Map, a new and updated version of the site.
Since DCM was launched in 2007 it has been a very exiting project to work with. The success was much higher than expected, and today Data Center Map is used by everything from hosting companies and data center operators to data center equipment vendors, colocation brokers, investment bankers, real estate companies, government agencies and probably a lot of other sectors that I have not been directly in touch with.
With thousands of industry professionals using the site every month I have received a great deal of feedback from the community, and a lot of these suggestions I have tried to implement in this new version of the site.
Data Center Map has shifted focus from primarily covering colocation data centers to also covering data center real estate, IP transit and various services such as dedicated servers, virtual servers, remote hands etc., but there are a lot of other changes to the site as well. Some of them are listed here:
- Option to send a quote request to all companies within a certain geographical area offering a specific service.
- Option to send enquiries directly to companies from Data Center Map.
- Advanced administration system for adding/editing data on the site.
- Separate index for properties with multiple data centers (leasing out raw data center space).
- Option to upgrade to a premium profile for better exposure.
- Birds-eye view of buildings via Microsoft Virtual Earth.
- Advanced search options such as radius based search.
- Blog with news about Data Center Map features etc.
There have also been a lot of performance enhancements and usability improvements, which are going to make the site much easier to work with. Furthermore there are a lot of plans for features to be implemented in the future, and if you have any ideas feel free to share them in the comments below or by dropping me an e-mail.
The site is of course still free to use for both suppliers and users, so hurry up and sign up if you are offering services related to data centers or IP transit.